Here's a quick, non-"Fixing the Mets" note on something I read this morning. The Chicago White Sox declined the $12 million 2010 option for slugging LF Jermaine Dye, opting instead to buy out the contract for $950,000.
Dye is an interesting name to be thrown into the LF hat for the Mets. He's always been a good power bat, hitting 25+ HRs in each of the last 5 seasons. I'm not sure what he'll command as a free agent, but it will most certainly be less (both in dollars and years) than Holliday and Bay. For that reason alone, I'd hope Omar at least considers him.
The big issue is that Dye's not a speedster, which raises the question about his ability to play LF in spacious CitiField. He's a statistically sound fielder -- in 2009, he had a .980 FLD% (5 errors in 247 attempts) along with 9 assists -- but stats don't show how many fly balls in the gap dropped in as doubles.
I'll have the next "Fixing the Mets" post up this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment