Don't feel like clicking the link? Here's what I wrote:
The Mets passed on established LHRPs like Joe Beimel and Will Ohman in the [2008] off-season because “Sean Green was such an effective cross-over reliever" ... Beimel (1-6, 35 Ks, 3.58 ERA, 55.1 IP) will be a free agent in 2010. Ignore his 2009 record, because he’s very good and there's no rule that says you can't have two LHRPs in the same bullpen.A guy like Joe Beimel will be an excellent compliment to Pedro Feliciano, who happens to be the only proven commodity in the Mets bullpen this year. I can't add K-Rod to the "proven" category just yet... he needs to succeed in New York for 162 games (not 81 like he did in 2009).
Incidentally, the other reliable bullpen arm was traded for Gary Matthews, Jr. not long ago. Brian Stokes will play for the Angels - which also happens to be the team that acquired Darren Oliver after we mistakenly let him go after 2006. I really liked Stokes and I thought he would be a good hand in the 'pen for the Mets (not the Angels).
And what's worse, is that it's rumored that Matthews is likely to be traded for... you guessed it, bullpen help! Follow the logic in this one, if you will.
Plan A: Retain Brian Stokes, who has proven that he can succeed in New York.
Plan B: Trade Brian Stokes for an overrated and overpaid CF, and then trade said CF for a relief pitcher who has most likely never succeeded in New York.
If anybody chooses Plan B, please Google "I need to see a shrink because I'm out of my mind."
No comments:
Post a Comment