CONCLUSION
With the right additions, I firmly believe that the 2010 Mets can compete with any team in the National League. I’ve outlined several options the Mets can act upon to greatly improve the team. My best and most realistic suggestions would have the team looking like this:
STARTING LINEUP
1 – Jose Reyes, SS
2 – Carl Crawford, LF
3 – Orlando Hudson, 2B
4 – Carlos Beltran, CF
5 – David Wright, 3B
6 – Jeff Francoeur, RF
7 – Daniel Murphy, 1B
8 – Rod Barajas, C
The biggest thing missing from this lineup is power. But is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. CitiField is the kind of park where it’s possible to score runs without the benefit of the long ball. I think this lineup has that potential. Reyes and Crawford atop the lineup will be a top-notch combo and will wreak havoc on the base paths. Hudson, Beltran and Wright can drive them in. Sounds good to me.
UPDATE: 11/13 - My post from this morning (which was supposed to be published 2 days ago) suggests that the Mets get Vernon Wells and Roy Halladay in the same deal. If that happens, we don't get Carl Crawford, so I'll slot Hudson in the 2 hole, Wright in the 3 hole, Beltran cleaning up and Wells in the 5 hole.
STARTING ROTATION
1 – Johan Santana
2 – Roy Halladay
3 – Mike Pelfrey
4 – Oliver Perez
5 – John Maine
Halladay and Santana could potentially combine to win 50 games. Throw in 10 from each of the others and that’s an 80-win season. It’s not out of the realm of possibilities.
Pelf and Ollie could switch spots in the rotation, and Maine isn't a guaranteed #5. We've got to stop kidding ourselves about all the "potential" surrounding our rotation. Adding Doc puts Pelf, Ollie and Maine is realistic positions.
UPDATE: 11/13 - My post from this morning also suggests that we would trade away either Maine or Pelfrey to get Halladay and Wells from Toronto. If that's the case, I'd insert Jon Niese as the #5 starter, and either Pelfrey #3 and Ollie #4 or Ollie #3 and Maine #4.
BULLPEN
Francisco Rodriguez, CP
JJ Putz, SU
Pedro Feliciano, LHP
Brian Stokes, RHP
Bobby Parnell, RHP
Shawn Green, RHP
Joe Beimel, LHP
Nelson Figueroa/Pat Misch
I still say that a healthy Putz setting up for a motivated K-Rod will make a terrific 8th/9th inning tandem. Halladay will provide some much needed relief for when the ‘pen has to pick up the pieces when “Bad Ollie” rears his ugly head.
Adding Biemel might make Green expendable, which would free up another spot on the bench. Regardless, I think this is a very solid bullpen.
BENCH
Omir Santos, C
Angel Pagan, OF
Fernando Tatis, OF/1B/3B
Wilson Valdez, 2B/SS
Cory Sullivan, OF
If we remove a bullpen arm, we can add another guy to the bench. I’m thinking Chris Carter or another Omar scrap heap pickup guy that he overpays. Regardless, if the bench is the weakest part of the team, you won’t hear any complaints from me!
That's it. That's my plan. It's a plan for fixing The Mets now without completely abandoning the future. It leaves the door wide open for Ike Davis in 2010, Josh Thole in 2011 and Fernando Martinez in ... well, sometime in the next 10-15 years. I know that it's likely that one (or more) of these guys end up in a package for Doc Halladay, but I'm okay with that. As I said in the very beginning, without solid pitching WE CANNOT COMPETE!!
No comments:
Post a Comment