Depending upon which big name is acquired – in LF or 1B, we’ll have either Angel Pagan or Daniel Murphy as a very strong sub/pinch hitter.
For the record, I don’t think Pagan is an everyday LF, but he may end up there depending upon the 2010 budget and the acquisition of a better name. Still, Pagan put up some impressive numbers in just 4 months in 2009. His season didn’t begin until June (I believe his first game was the infamous “Church missed third” game… on the bullet that Pagan hit at Dodger Stadium), and he led the team in 3Bs with 11. He batted .306, hit 6 HRs, scored 54 Rs and stole 14 bases. I think Pagan will be our 4th outfielder and fill the role that Endy Chavez filled in 2006 and 2007.
Due to Jose Reyes’ injury-riddled year, we were able to get a look at a slew of mediocre backup middle infielders:
- Alex Cora, signed last winter to be a veteran leader on the team, did everything we asked of him and more.
- Ramon Martinez, who started the season with AAA Buffalo, should never wear a Mets uniform again.
- Wilson Valdez, claimed off waivers from somebody’s scrap heap (can’t recall who), was a very good defender with a cannon for an arm.
- Anderson Hernandez, back in Flushing in a trade with The Nats, is a better player than he was when we traded him away last year for Luis Ayala.
Cora was a warrior in 2009. He played 2B and SS, and got more ABs in more games than anyone expected. When Reyes went down, Cora inserted himself in his place and did an admirable job. He certainly didn’t put up Reyes numbers, but even after he dislocated BOTH HIS THUMBS, Cora stayed in the lineup and pushed off surgery until it was apparent that The Mets were going nowhere. All this being said, I wouldn’t bring Alex back. He signed for $2 million in 2009, and he’ll probably expect the same in 2010.
If we don't bring back Cora and if we ship Martinez off to play in a softball league somewhere, we'd have to choose between Valdez or Hernandez to be our backup infielder. Frankly, both did well enough to earn a bench spot for any MLB team.
Since he rejoined the Mets in August, Hernandez proved that he matured quite a bit since his last stint with the Mets. He has speed and can play both 2B and SS, but his defense is sub-par. That's reason enough for me NOT to make him our main backup middle IF.
So could it be that I'm suggesting Wilson Valdez to be our backup middle IF? I guess I am, if by nothing more than process of elimintation. That, and he'll cost the least and is by far the best defensive player of the above 4. It's true that we never got a chance to see him play any 2B, but I'd think he'd do just fine there when/if needed.
As for an additional OF/bat, it’ll be tough to choose between Cory Sullivan and Jeremy Reed. Sully had a good showing in his limited time with The Mets in 2009. Reed, too, had a pretty good year, but he’ll probably best be remembered for the game-ending error he made in L.A. during the "the guy missed third" debacle of a game. I’d choose Sullivan over Reed, mainly because of his experience.
A lot has been said over the past 2 years about the Mets acquiring Mark DeRosa, who plays almost every position and does so very well. While I agree about DeRosa, I think the same could almost be said about Fernando Tatis. He can play either corner OF position and all 4 IF positions. He’s got a great attitude, has pop, and he’s been a team-first kind of player in 2008 and 2009.
I'd say forget about DeRosa and bring back Tatis on a one-year contract to be the default utility palyer. Tatis seems to have liked this role with The Mets, and Jerry Manuel seems to like Tatis. No reason to try to repalce him with a high-priced guy like DeRosa.
Finally, as I mentioned earlier, either Pagan or Murphy should be available off the bench. Murphy in particular showed that he was a very competent pinch hitter, batting nearly .350 in that role in 2009. There are some that might argue that Murphy’s development as a player would be stunted by riding the pine, but so be it. He must do what’s best for the team, and if being a pinch hitter is it, he’s the kind of guy who’ll do it without thinking twice.
Coming up is STEP SIX... The Conclusion of Fixing the Mets!
No comments:
Post a Comment