Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Being Ahead of the Curve...

I'm not one to brag, but anybody within earshot of me after the 2006 season heard me bitching about the fact that the Mets didn't bring back Chad Bradford and Darren Oliver. Both were replaced, the former by Joe Smith and the latter by Scott Schoeneweis. How'd that work out for us?


On MetsBlog.com this morning, there's an interesting snippet that suggests the Mets are going to be in on signing Darren Oliver. I wonder if they'd held onto him in 2007, 2008 and 2009, if they'd be one of five teams in on him right now. I also wonder how much better the 2007 and 2008 bullpens would've been...


Another good, encouraging sign from MetsBlog this morning is that there are reports that suggest the Mets will start to aggressively pursue John Lackey. It's about frickin' time is all I have to say. The guy's the best free agent pitcher on the market by leaps and bounds, and now that guys like Tim Hudson and Randy Wolf have 3-year deals, Lackey asking for 5 doesn't seem that unreasonable. Oh and the guy's a bulldog and would be a perfect #2 behind Johan.


I thought Bengie Molina would be the big signing for the Mets at the Winter Meetings... perhaps Omar will shock us and and it'll be John Lackey -- 5 years, $90 million. Merry Christmas to us, if that's the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment