Ah the Winter Meetings are in full swing, which means Omar Minaya is busy monitoring all the aging, over-priced free agents. Since my last post, The Phillies have improved (signing Placido Polanco to play 3B) and The Braves have REALLY improved (signing Billy Wagner to close and Takashi Saito to setup, while looking to resign Mike Gonzalez and/or Rafael Soriano). Even The Nats have improved (signing Pudge Rodriguez to catch and Brian Bruney to be a dick in Washington instead of New York).
The Mets have improved, too. Well, not really. We've spent $3.5 million on backup players Alex Cora, Chris Coste and Henry Blanco. From what I've read, Blanco is a terrific defensive catcher, which is enough for me to say he should platoon with Omir Santos and we should skip out on the Bengie Molina experiment.
Unfortunately, it's just not like Omar to avoid signing an older player with whom he's always been infatuated. It's reported that Minaya offered Molina a 3-year deal before picking up Paul LoDuca after the 2005 season. I don't care how many HRs Molina hit in 2009... the guy is 36 and is already slower than molasses! I'd pay money to see a foot race between him and former goggle-wearing Met C/1B Jason Phillips.
I've heard reports of how well Molina handles a pitching staff. I can't argue against that, as San Francisco's starters have been quite good (back-to-back Cy Young seasons for Lincecum). Still, Molina goes completely against (what should be) the team's "pitching/speed/defense" philosophy. I don't want him for 3 years. Or for 2 years. Or for 1 year. I say NO to Bengie Mo!!!
My guess is that Omar makes some big splash before the end of the week, and my guess is that the big splash is Molina for 2 years and $12 million.
UPDATE - I'm thinking more about this whole "We need a catcher who can handle a pitching staff" argument the Mets are making right now, and I'm getting more and more nervous. It seems to me like they're posturing to send out the same exact rotation in 2010, save for the 5th spot. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the very definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Oh but there's a new catcher, and as a result, Ollie Perez will be able to throw strikes! And Mike Pelfrey won't have the yips any more! Give me a break...
No comments:
Post a Comment