Monday, October 26, 2009

Fixing the Mets - Introduction

I started writing this little diddy as a way to vent my frustration with our beloved Metropolitans. 2009 has been a difficult season for Mets fans, but what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. Willie Randolph said something to that effect in September 2007 when he was questioned about the team's downward spiral. He said, and I’m paraphrasing, that these hardships will make the champagne taste sweeter when we do win. Unfortunately for Willie, he wasn't able to stick around long enough to taste that champagne.

But that's the advantage we have as fans. We can't be fired. Sure we can quit (Jen), but nobody can make us stop following and believing in The New York Mets. And as a result, what started as a few sentences quickly turned into a few paragraphs, which quickly turned into a few pages, dedicated to fixing the Mets!

Contrary to what Jayson Stark would have us believe, the future is not so bleak. Despite the injuries sustained this year, our core is still as solid as any other in baseball – Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Santana and now K‐Rod and Francoeur. Yes we have some holes to fill, but all Mr. Stark proved with his article is that he's a huge Phillies homer. I’m sure he and that traitor Tom McCarthy got a good chuckle out of what he wrote.

But I digress... The point of this "series" is that I believe we can be competitive for the next 2 years and then really make some strides when our minor league prospects are ready for the Bigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment