Monday, October 26, 2009

Fixing the Mets - STEP TWO

STEP TWO: Choose management that best fit that plan

Omar Minaya would be best suited elsewhere in the organization, where he never has to be involved in press conferences. He was a disaster in front of the press all year, with the low‐point being the Adam Rubin incident at the Tony Bernazard press conference. It’s been rumored that the Wilpons would’ve fired Omar had it not been for his contract ($3 million), but nothing’s been said about repurposing him. He should be in a behind-the‐scenes role, because he makes the franchise look dopey every time he opens his mouth. Truth be told, I think Omar has some very good qualities and instincts, and these attributes shouldn’t be overlooked. He’s a good hand, but not as the public face of the team’s management.

There are talks that John Ricco would be promoted to be the new GM. It doesn't even matter at this point. They should just hire an actor to memorize a script, but also has a background at improv so he can handle interviews. I frankly don't care who the "suits" are. I'm more concerned with the on‐field product, as we all should be.

The on‐field product starts with the manager. Is Jerry Manuel a guy that can get the most out of a team that's best trait is pitching and defense? I don't know if he is. If we look at the early part of this past season, coming out of the first spring training that Jerry ran, the Mets were sloppy and lacked fundamentals. The Mets didn't just start to suck after Delgado, Reyes, Putz, Beltran, etc. got hurt. They were mediocre in April and May, at full staff. That's on Jerry. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Not to defend him, though, I can’t understand how a group of PROFESSIONALS can make so many collective blunders.

And with that being said, I’m willing to give Jerry another chance in 2010. I cited the poor start to the season above, but I'd like to see what Jerry can do with a healthy team for a full 162 games. If he fails in 2010, and if the team plays as sloppily as it did in 2009, then Jerry's got to go. He clearly has his priorities for spring training in order – and it’ll be to address what appears to be a lack of concentration by his players both on the bases and in the field. Good luck with that one, Jerry. Frankly, he shouldn’t have to spend his time on something that these guys should’ve learned in Little League!

As an aside, I don't see how these managers and coaches and other executives get multi‐year deals. Starting in 2011, after Omar and Jerry are no longer under contract, the Wilpons should start signing all (non‐player) personnel to one‐year deals. This will allow them to move on without paying money to non‐factor people (like they did with Willie Randolph).

As for the rest of the coaching staff, Razor Shines cannot resume his duties as third base coach. How many Mets were thrown out at home plate this year? Or held up at third when they should've scored? Adios, Razor. Manny Acta is available, and although he'd probably prefer managing, he was our third base coach during the magical 2006 season...

UPDATE 10/18 – In an article for the New York Daily News, everybody’s favorite front office wannabe Adam Rubin writes that Acta “could return” as third‐base coach.

As far as the pitching staff is concerned, and as impressed as I was with what he did in the latter part of the 2008 season, Dan Warthen needs to be replaced. Anybody who watched the last two years would easily agree that Mike Pelfrey regressed in 2009. Warthen was praised for Big Pelf’s renaissance in 2008, and so he should also be blamed for just how horrible the 2009 staff was as a whole. Mets pitchers walked far too many batters this season, second only to The Nats. Even Santana was guilty there, letting up the most walks in any of his seasons in his Hall of Fame career. Bye bye, Danny Boy.

Warthen should be replaced with soon‐to‐be‐free‐agent Dave Duncan of St. Louis, who seems to be able to turn even the most average pitcher into a star. Look what he did with Braden Looper. And with Joel PiƱeiro. And with Kyle Loshe. And with Adam Wainright. This is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. And yet it won’t happen, because…

UPDATE, 10/5 – Dan Warthen will stay on as pitching coach in 2010. This just doesn’t make any sense to me. As far as I’m concerned, Jerry was 100% right in July and August, when he kept telling reporters “If we can pitch, we can win.” The problem was that we didn’t pitch very well. Big Pelf walked guys and balked them over, Ollie was Ollie, and as I said before, even Johan was walking guys (the opposing pitcher on 3 different occasions this year).

Perhaps someone can help me understand this one… What has Dan Warthen done to deserve to stick around?

As for other personnel changes, Luis Alicea was fired as first base coach – because he was clearly the problem with 2010. He just didn’t do a good enough job holding everyone’s protective armor and batting gloves when they reached base. (Anybody pick up any sarcasm there?)

Sandy Alomar Sr. will not be the bench coach in 2010, but will remain with the organization in some capacity. I think Sandy will end up in a prominent role in the player development area, and good for him because he’s earned it.

Razor Shines will remain on the staff, but will NOT be the third base coach in 2010. I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief. I suspect Razor will take over as bench coach, and I’m actually in favor of that move. Despite his inability to read plays as third base coach, his positive attitude and energy will be put to much better use in the dugout.

The bottom line is that 2010 is a do or die year for the Mets brass. If Omar’s off‐season moves aren’t winners, he’ll be shown the door. Same can be said if Jerry fails to get the team to play like pros. The ice will be thin for both of them, and if 2010 resembles 2009, I suspect both Omar and Jerry will be Willie Randolphed. (I wonder if the Mets will be making a trip to Anaheim in June?)

Coming up next is STEP THREE: Help Johan out!

No comments:

Post a Comment