Monday, November 30, 2009

Getting started...

Earlier today, the Mets made two minor signings. One I'm okay with. The other, not so much.

The Mets brought back Alex Cora today on a 1-year, $2 million deal with a vesting 2011 club option. Let me reiterate what I've said many times before about Alex Cora. I liked what he did for The Mets in 2009. He plays the game the right way, is a great club house presence, and he proved to be an absolute warrior playing with TWO messed up thumbs. Is he worth $2 million? I don't think he is. He's a backup middle IF, and despite what I just said, he's an average player on his best day.

As Jon Heyman put it, Cora will make "50 grand for ballplaying and $1.95 mil for being a helluva nice guy." I know what Heyman is saying, but I think his assessment is a bit unfair. I would've preferred he make $1 million a year at the most.

Does Cora fit into my plan? Not exactly, and not because I think he doesn't fit on the team. He's an adequate backup. I'm just not all about paying millions of dollars to a backup.

The second move made today was the signing of former Phillies backup catcher Chris Coste. I remember him as the pasty white bastard who always seemed to appear as a pinch hitter and come up big against the Mets in 2007 and 2008. He split time between Philly and Houston in 2009, posting a .224 batting average. Regardless, I'm fine with this move.

From what I've read about Omar Minaya, he likes to do his sort of thing before the winter meetings. The thought here is that Minaya will have a veteran catcher at his disposal if he fails to sign a free agent. I'm hoping Omar signs Rod Barajas, but I'm hoping even more that he doesn't fall into the trap that is Bengie Molina. I'm just not a fan of bringing in a 36-year old catcher who's slow as molasses. Then again, Chris Coste is 36, so color me a hypocrit...

2 comments:

  1. What are you thoughts on signing Molina if it's only for 1 year. I think it may be a decent pick-up as long as we aren't locked into him long term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only condition under which I bring in Molina is a 1-year deal with a possible option for year 2. My problem is the money he'll get. $6 million is a waste when we have bigger holes to fill. I'm still leaning toward Barajas, or if we want to be really cheap, just stick with Santos and either Coste or Blanco in a platoon situation.

    ReplyDelete